What’s so different across the pond? If you’re planning a trip or moving there, you need to know the major differences in American and British cultures.
For eight years I have lived in London as an American food and travel blogger. Being married to a British man gives me a better opportunity to understand how British people perceive American culture.
Most of the time I can process the American and British cultural differences with success, but sometimes I make huge mistakes!
I have put together this collection of blog posts and videos for anyone new to Sunny in London who might want some tips before they visit London or move here. It also works for British people planning to visit the USA.
DISCLAIMER: Obviously I understand that there are regional differences among England, Wales and Scotland. There certainly are among Miami, New York City and Los Angeles. However, I have done my best to consider generalities and hope you find these useful.
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Life in the UK Test
Foremost, if you are trying to become a British citizen or receive an Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will need to pass your Life in the UK Test. It’s the ultimate challenge to see how much you know about British culture, history, law and politics.
I passed in February 2019! If you’d like advice about the process, watch this video.
To download my notes for the test (15+ pages of a Word document that you can edit and reshape in to note cards to study) read my Study Advice.
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Word Play
- Slang Comparisons (YouTube)
- British Slang Word Tips and Advice for Visiting London (YouTube)
- American vs British Words for Work (YouTube)
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Food
- American and British Grocery Stores
- American vs British Breakfast Food (YouTube)
- Restaurant Differences (YouTube)
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Every Day Life
- American and British TV
- British vs American Schools– Part 1
- Secondary British vs American School Differences- Part 2
- British and American Stereotypes (YouTube)
- Christmas Differences: UK vs USA
- Cultural Differences
- Hotel Differences UK vs USA
- What the British Do Better! (YouTube)
- What Americans Do Better! (YouTube)
- Working in London as an American Advice (YouTube)
More Resource Pages from Sunny in London:
- Trip Planning– Local Travel Guide to London
- Best Things to Do in London (Attractions, Seasonal, Unique)
- Food Things do Do in London
- Trips- International Travel Tips and Tricks
Major Differences in American and British Cultures:
To hear more about specific life activities that have been hardest for me over the eight years I have lived in London, you can watch my video about the Cons of Living in London as an American.
I publish videos on the Sunny News YouTube every Sunday that feature behind the scenes views of London’s food, life, events and culture.
If you subscribe to the Sunny News email you will receive all these updates, including Mr Sunny’s Pub of the Week suggestion.