What’s so different across the pond? If you’re planning a trip or moving there, you need to know the major differences in American and British cultures.
For six years I have lived in London as an American food and travel blogger. Being married to a British man gives me a better opportunity to understand how British people perceive American culture.
Most of the time I can process the American and British cultural differences with success, but sometimes I make huge mistakes!
I have put together this collection of blog posts and videos for anyone new to Sunny in London who might want some tips before they visit London or move here. It also works for British people planning to visit the USA.
DISCLAIMER: Obviously I understand that there are regional differences among England, Wales and Scotland. There certainly are among Miami, New York City and Los Angeles. However, I have done my best to consider generalities and hope you find these useful.
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Life in the UK Test
Foremost, if you are trying to become a British citizen or receive an Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will need to pass your Life in the UK Test. It’s the ultimate challenge to see how much you know about British culture, history, law and politics.
I passed in February 2019! If you’d like advice about the process, watch this video.
To download my notes for the test (15+ pages of a Word document that you can edit and reshape in to note cards to study) read my Study Advice.
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Word Play
- Slang Comparisons (YouTube)
- British Slang Word Tips and Advice for Visiting London (YouTube)
- American vs British Words for Work (YouTube)
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Food
- American and British Grocery Stores
- American vs British Breakfast Food (YouTube)
- Restaurant Differences (YouTube)
Major Differences in American and British Cultures: Every Day Life
- American and British TV
- British vs American Schools
- British and American Stereotypes (YouTube)
- Christmas Differences: UK vs USA
- Cultural Differences
- Hotel Differences UK vs USA
- What the British Do Better! (YouTube)
- What Americans Do Better! (YouTube)
- Working in London as an American Advice (YouTube)
More Resource Pages from Sunny in London:
- Trip Planning– Local Travel Guide to London
- Best Things to Do in London (Attractions, Seasonal, Unique)
- Food Things do Do in London
- Trips- International Travel Tips and Tricks
Watch the Sunny News YouTube to see everything happening each week.
Subscribe to the Sunny News email to receive regularly updates about what’s hot in London. When you subscribe you’ll automatically receive the ‘Local’s Pocket Restaurant Guide to London’ which you can download to your phone.